Sunday 7 December 2014

Blogmas Day #7: My Top Christmas Tunes


Hi guys!

Apologies that this Blogmas post has been uploaded so late today, I was working from 10-7, then got home, had dinner, watched X Factor and then the I'm a Celeb final so I've only just got a chance to sit down and do it uninterrupted! But yes, as a music lover, how could I NOT feature a Christmas songs post as part of Blogmas? Despite working in retail meaning that Christmas songs are even more omnipresent this time of year, the magic of them still hasn't waned on me at all! So, here are my top 5 Christmas songs (along with some honourable mentions)...

1. John Lennon & Yoko Ono ft. the Harlem Community Choir - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)


Quite predictably for me, John Lennon has stormed to number one as my favourite ever Christmas song! As a HUGE fan of The Beatles, and him in particular, I am a tad bit biased I guess, but this is a truly wonderful song. His vocals are gripping here, and Yoko's take on the chorus, backed by the choir, is rather beautiful. Lyrically this is stunning and so real as they are conveying their message of peace in song, as well as adding the element of New Year as well. The track just makes you stop and think, and is full of so much hope.

2. Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday


This track, and it's accompanying video in particular, is absolutely unforgettable. The song by the man with the big white hair, sax and kids is always a sonic and visual treat. Okay the economy would be corrupt and the magic would be gone if it actually WAS Christmas everyday, but the pure ENERGY of this song is so euphoric and infectious, and gets me right into the Christmas spirit year after year.

3. The Pogues ft. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York


Back to more beautiful efforts again, now. In the past I have had spells of getting sick of this, as it's definitely one of the most hammered tracks at this time of year, but right now our relationship is good. The entire effort is so charming, what with both points of view being told and the accompanying instrumentation. Truly magical.

4. Wham! - Last Christmas


Whilst not the most uplifting tale ("this year, to save me from tears"), I think any Wham! output will always be heralded for their contribution to British music. I truly love George Michael's vocals, and he of course knocks it out of the park with this too. A track that's a mid-tempo tale with very festive production, thus a perfect chill out Christmas track.

5. Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody


Noddy Holder's charismatic vocals are unmistakable, and elevate this track into all kinds of levels of fun. This track emulates the joys and warmth of Christmas, particularly reflected in the line "So here it is merry Christmas, everybody's having fun". Therefore, it's always a treat to listen to, and instantly lifts the mood.

Other honourable mentions include...

  •  Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas is You
  • Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?
  • Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
  • Elton John - Step Into Christmas
  • Boney M - Mary's Boy Child
  • Jona Lewrie - Stop the Cavalry 
  • Shakin' Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone
  • East 17 - Stay Another Day
  • Leona Lewis - One More Sleep
  • Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
I hope you enjoyed this little reflection, I just adore Christmas songs! What are your favourite Christmas songs?

Thanks for reading,

Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment